Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Colors Week!! Articulation Practice with Mouse Paint!!



I love my color theme unit!  Actually the first 2 units in September, I love!!  Although the concept of "colors" seems a little immature for some of my kiddos, but once you really start thinking, it's not.  It's great for my littles (what I call early childhood-toddlers to late 2's) but my young school age (Kindergarten-1st) get great stuff out of it.  My older ones (2nd and up) tend to find it kind of boring UNTIL I break out CANDYLAND!!!  Then it's on!!  But... that is another blog post for later in week.

Usually the first session of the week involves a book and drill activity to set the theme for the week.  For my kiddos that are one time a week, I adapt their session to what they really need to get in and how they can apply it at home.

For my 3's and 4's, we read "Mouse Paint" by Ellen Stoll Walsh.  I like this book because it is simple and easy to read (that's code for "keeps their attention!")  Plus the kiddos can relate to getting messy with paint.  I like that it broadens their minds with the mixing of the colors.  This is also a great time to talk about the word "camouflage."   Of course, in Texas, most boys know what that word means...especially since it's the beginning of dove hunting season!  With words like "cat, paint, mouse, red, green, orange, purple, paintbrush," "Mouse Paint" is a great book to use with your final consonant deletion clients.  I love to use books in my therapy sessions!  It provides great drill practice without feeling like drill!  I structure my questions so that the child has to answer with a target sound.  For example, I might ask my little friend, "What is the book about?"  The expected answer is mice/mouse.  Either way, I am getting him to produce a final /s/ sound.  If he produces it wrong, then we practice right then.  If he is correct, then I compliment him on a good ending sound or /s/ sound.

After we've read our book and answered questions, we move on to the drill practice of the session.  I made a worksheet a couple of years ago.  However, since it was one that I cut and pieced together, it's not in my computer.  So I've made a new one for you to download if you wish.  I tend to choose between 4 and 5 words to target for the week.  That way the child can become easily successful with them during the first session, making them more inclined to work with family members at home practice time.  During the second session of the week, we may add more and change the easiest ones out.  I shoot for 5 good repetitions before we glue a mouse in the paint.  So with each mouse, I hear 5 good trials.  Depending on the worksheet, that could be 50 trials in one activity!  Those target words are written at the top of the worksheet and send home to practice.

Peace, Love and Speech!
Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment