Friday, September 4, 2015

Mouse Paint Craft Activity for Articulation

One thing I have figured out with my preschool bunch...They love when we make stuff with lunch bags!!  I have no clue why but if we can turn it into anything, they are so excited!!

This week I decided to make them happy and come up with an activity to use their beloved lunch bags.  They are cheap enough anyways, right?!   I also came up with a language activity using the same craft. 

I have uploaded the mouse template as well as a printable set of directions and supply list.  This craft is pretty simple and can be sent home for the child to practice with a family member.  First, have the child color each mouse a color from the story.  You should end up with 2 white mice and 1 of each color: red, blue, yellow, orange, green and purple.  As they color, feel free to discuss how to make orange, green and purple.  Talk about their favorite color too!  Since I work with little ones, I color their lunch bag to look like a paint can while they are coloring their mice.  If you work with older kids, they can take care of this part too.  Once they are done, I cut the mice out.  A target word is written on each mouse.  You can either use 4 words and write them twice OR use 8 words to practice.  Stand up the "paint can" and get ready to begin!  Have the child say a target word.  Provide a verbal model since they {TYPICALLY} can't read at this age.  (There are no picture cues on these!)  Once the child has produced the word correctly 5x, he can put the mouse in the paint!  With my kiddos working on final consonant deletion, we work on saying "in the paint!" with a focus on the final "t."  For my kiddos that I want to push toward sentence level, I wrote a sentence on the front of the bag.  Some of my kiddos were able to play just once during our session and some could play twice.  Either way, they had a great time and super excited to take a game home to play!

 
Those blobs of color are actually mice!


If you are working in a school setting with a group, allow the students to hold onto their mice and choose one when it is their turn to practice.

TIP:  I like to underline the sound in each of the words we are working on.  It shows the child the sound in the word as well as notifies the parent what we worked on.

Peace, Love and Speech!
Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment