Monday, December 7, 2015

Monday Preview of Gingerbread Week!!

With Christmas right around the corner, it is a perfect time for a cute gingerbread theme.  I love the smell of gingerbread cookies in the oven around this time of the year!!  This week I have put together some fun activities for the kids to do  that celebrate all things gingerbread!

When I worked in the school system, I liked to read 3 different versions of the Gingerbread Man.  Then we could do the compare/contrast chart, talk about which the kids preferred (and chart the responses) and what we would do if we were the Gingerbread Man.  This would be the reason that I have several Gingerbread Man books.  I have to say I have 2 favorites.  I love "The Jalapeno Man" and "The Gingerbread Girl."  "The Jalapeno Man" is a must have for any SLP living in or from Texas!!  The figurative language in it is like no other!!!  Since I am now in the home setting,  I read it to my older kids (like around 2nd-3rd grade, depending on language skills).  "The Gingerbread Girl" is a great read for the girls.  Usually the boys don't want to hear it because it's about a girl.  But I love that it has a different ending.  It's not necessarily making the girl smarter.  I think it's more about learning from experiences (your own or someone else's) and making a different choice. 

"The 10 Gingerbread Men" is a brand new addition this year.  I found it before Thanksgiving and knew I had to have it for my little guys.


"The Gingerbread Man" Book Buddy can be found on the TpT store.  It has two drill type articulation sheets that will make the week fun.  Kids love those dot paints so feel free to use them with the "Roll and Say" drill.  There's also a couple of language activities; one of which is a new form.  It is called "Color by Skill" and addresses several skills at once as well as following directions.  I can't wait to try it out this week.  If you try it, let me know what you think about it!


I also added some cool playdough smush boards.  The little ones love them!!!  So grab a can of playdough and work on some expressive vocabulary skills.  The kiddos can name the objects and smush playdough on  them.  Or use it for receptive language; name a picture and have the child find it and smush playdough on it.  Either way, they'll have a great time!!


Have a great week!!
Until next time, keep 'em talking!
Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment